Ban Bo Suak in the past was an important production venue of glazed ceramics in Nan province. The production pattern and process of this place are unique.
It is assumed that the ceramic products from Ban Bo Suak were once popular due to their discoveries in the burial grounds of the people in the past, especially along the mountain ridges from Omkoi district in Chiang Mai to Tak and Kamphaeng Phet provinces. It is assumed that the production of the Bo Suak ceramics was originated and developed during the reign of Phraya Phonlathep Ruechai (1528-1559) which was the glorious period of Nan. The knowledge of kilns and glazed ceramics of Nan was influenced from Lanna such as San Kamphaeng Kilns and Kalong Kilns which are kiln sites near Chiang Mai.
Since 1984, the Archaeology Division has conducted a preliminary research and study of the kilns in this area. The “Community Archaeological Site” is located at Ban Bo Suak Phatthana, Mu 10, Suak sub-district, 17 kilometres from the centre of town. The location where the kilns were discovered in October 1999 was by the river within the area of the residence of Police Sergeant Major Manat and Khun Sunan Tikham. The kilns face the Chao Phraya River for the convenience of transportation. Inside is a large firing chamber where a person can enter. The kilns are sloped and possess a chimney on the top. Two ancient kilns have been reconstructed and sheltered within a permanent building. At the basement of Pol.Sgt.Maj. Manat’s house is an exhibition of artefacts from the kilns.
The excavation of Nan’s kilns at Ban Bo Suak is considered as a new vision on the “Community Archaeology” research by cooperating with the locals, private organisations, local governmental sector, and researchers from universities to sprout the knowledge and increase the strength of the community at the same time. In the future, a Ban Bo Suak Community Archaeology Fund will be established. Money from the fund will be utilised in community development such as a revival of the pottery profession, construction of the village museum, and training of community tour guides.