This temple is at Mu 3, Tambon Chehe, on the bank of Tak Bai River. From the town, take Highway No. 4985 (Narathiwat-Tak Bai) until the Tak Bai District Market intersection, turn left and proceed for another 100 meters to the temple entrance.
In 1873, Phra Khru Ophat Phutthakhun established the temple and requested land from Phraya Kelantan for its construction. At that time, Tak Bai was still a part of Kelantan in Malaysia. This Buddhist temple, which played an important role in the secession of land between Siam and Malaya (then a colony of the United Kingdom) during the reign of King Rama V in 1909, is located in a predominantly Muslim community. The Thai side raised the fact that since this is a Buddhist temple, it should remain with Thailand. The British relented and agreed to use the Klok River (Tak Bai River) that flows through Tak Bai as the boundary. Therefore, the temple is also called Wat Phithak Phaen Din Thai or the temple that protects Thai sovereignty.
The temple is generally peaceful and has a spacious lawn on the riverbank that is ideal for relaxation. The chapel, built in the reign of King Rama V, has murals drawn by monks from Songkhla. The paintings depict the life of the Lord Buddha and the daily life of locals at that time. It also houses a main Buddha image made of gold, which covers its original features of a red mouth and black hair and situated on a 1.5-meter high base. From the style of the base, it is believed that this is a Mon image. Another building housing a reclining Buddha image has inner walls covered with old Sangkhalok porcelain.
To get there, take a bus to Tak Bai district. Other transportation options are mini-buses (20 baht), vans (30 baht and board at the roundabout in town) and buses. If traveling by bus, get off at Tak Bai intersection and walk for around 500 meters. Vans will take you right into the temple.